Saturday, December 5, 2009

Wise Advice From Art




Art was my Sunday school teacher when I was 12 years old.  He’s 94 years old now and he doesn’t have much longer to live.  He’s alright with that reality.  He told me very plainly, “I’m not afraid.”  His mind is still keen and alert, he’s not confused about what’s going on.  He knows exactly what’s happening.  In fact, in our time together today, we talked about some of the songs that would be sung at his funeral service.  He easily recalled the words to the songs from memory.

I asked Art what wisdom he would have me pass along to others.  He did not have to pause and think, his answer came right away:  “Trust God.”

When you’ve lived 94 years, you’ve seen a lot of things and you’ve had a lot of experiences.  If you’ve been thoughtful and reflective to any degree at all, in that amount of time, you would gain some measure of wisdom.

As he faces the end with no fear and a vast amount of life experience upon which to draw, Art’s advice to you and me is:  Trust God.

I thought Art’s wisdom was worth sharing with you.



“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
In all your way acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”
Proverbs 3:5&6

No comments: