Monday, December 28, 2009

When Am I Going To Learn?


We went to the all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant tonight before going to see the movie Avatar and I did something very foolish. 

…That’s happened a few other times.  (Not seeing Avatar, me doing something foolish has happened a few other times.)

The waitress came and spoke with me and I did not understand what she was saying.  After she repeated herself, I still did not understand what she was saying—she had a heavy accent—and I was embarrassed that I was so dense.  So…this is not good…so…I know this is terrible…so…I write this with much regret…so, I nodded my head in an affirmative fashion in response to her and said, “Mmm Hmm.”

I did this even though I didn’t understand what she was saying.

I know.  I know.  Please don’t leave comments telling me I’m a horrible person, I realize that was not the right thing to do.  But I was getting the feeling that she was embarrassed that I could not understand her and I didn’t want her to be embarrassed.  My motive was, somewhat, noble, wasn't it?

You say, “That doesn’t make it right, Dan!”

I know.

You say, “When are you ever going to learn?”

I’m not sure, but I hope it will be soon.

Several minutes later, I discovered what she was trying to communicate with me.  She was attempting to determine: who gets the bill?  My affirmative response apparently indicated to her that I was the one paying the bill.

That turned out to be a fairly costly “nod”.  Oh well, it serves me right.


P.S.  By the way, everyone was very impressed with the special effects.  No, not the special effects at the sushi restaurant, the last thing you want are special effects at a sushi restaurant...and I won’t elaborate on that any further.  Everyone was impressed with the special effects of the movie Avatar.  And before the movie began, at the theater, I was getting some snacks but I couldn’t understanding what the clerk at the snack counter was saying.  So, I nodded my head…..

You say, “When are you ever going to learn?”

I’m not sure, but I hope it will be soon.

No comments: