Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A New Era Of Overnighters In "The Lair"


When my son Taylor left for college I was saddened to think that there wouldn’t be any more overnighters down in “the lair”.  “The lair” is basically just our basement which Taylor converted into his pad—“the lair” is where all the fun and games happened; “the lair” is where all the high tech electronic gear was hooked up; “the lair” is where the cool, hip, fun people hang out.  

I’m not allowed in “the lair”.

Fortunately, some of the guys have still been having overnighters in “the lair”—even without Taylor around.  So, my sadness was premature…much like my gray hair.

But tonight we began a new era of overnighters.  Yep, that’s right a whole new era is underway.  Jasper’s friend Jake came over today and they are having an overnighter down in “the lair”

These two buddies are having a blast.  They’ve been chasing each other’s tails and drinking out of the toilet together and licking my face.  Not in that order.  At one point, they almost knocked over the Christmas tree.  (I have posted two other fairly recent stories about our Christmas tree falling down.  For a moment, I thought I was going to have a third one to post when Jasper and Jake crashed into it.  The tree teetered and rocked and several ornaments went flying, but, alas, the tree remains standing!  Whoo Hooo!  Take that…gravity!!!)

Nadia and I love having Taylor’s friends come over and spend the night.  There’s excitement and energy and a spirit of fun when they’re all around…especially when we have lots of the high caffeine energy drinks available.

I admit, the mood is not quite the same with Jasper and Jake having an overnighter…and the energy drinks disappear much faster…but it’s almost as good.


*NOTE:  What you just read was the first part of this post.  It was written at about 8:30 this evening.

PART 2….

It’s a little after midnight as I write the next portion of this post.  I awoke because of all the noise coming from “the lair”.  Normally, I don’t like to intrude.  I don’t like to be the bad guy.  I don’t like to be the grumpy old dad who kills all the fun.  But there’s a limit.  Right?  At this hour of the night, there needs to be a little bit of an effort to respect those who are sleeping and keep the noise to a minimum.  Alright, I admit, I was a little bit ticked off.

Well, I went downstairs getting angrier with each step and preparing my big speech.  But I sure was surprised and embarrassed.  When I walked into “the lair” my anger melted away and I found myself smiling and feeling great joy and appreciation.  Jasper and Jake were making a lot of noise, yes that’s true, but it’s because they were playing a rousing game of Bible Trivia and had gotten worked up and excited as the competition heated up over questions involving Old Testament minor prophets.

How could I stay mad when that was the source of all the noise?  I got them each a cup of milk along with a yummy, tasty ornament from the tree (I’m not sure why, but Jasper loves those Christmas tree ornaments).  And now I’m going back to bed, a little happier, and a little wiser.  “Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry…” Eph.4:26

Once again, there is great fun happening in “the lair”.


*P.S.  As I walked upstairs, I noticed that the Christmas tree is down.  Well, that makes three.

No comments: