Tuesday, December 29, 2009

James Cameron and Technology


Last night, I saw the movie Avatar which is directed by James Cameron.  (It’s very entertaining.)  Cameron also directed the first two Terminator movies (and, perhaps, a few others in the Terminator series, but I’m not sure).

All three of these movies seem to be decidedly unfavorable towards technology and yet they all employed cutting-edge technological advances in film making.  I find that a bit ironical and I’d be interested in hearing Cameron comment on the apparent contradiction of using the latest in technology to complain about the evils of technology.

It’s sort of like taking a pencil and writing:  “Pencils are dangerous.  We should think about banning them!”

I don’t mean this in an “Aha, I’ve got you, Cameron!” sort of way.  He’s a smart man, I’m quite certain that he’s thought about the issue I’m raising here.  I’m just saying I would be curious to hear his thinking about this matter.  He probably has a fairly interesting and thoughtful explanation of what he is doing.

No comments: