Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Lucky? No, That Doesn't Explain It. I Must Be Blessed!


People look at me and say, “How in the world did THIS GUY ever end up with a beautiful, wonderful, godly woman like Nadia? It seems so unlikely that he could ever be that lucky! Come on, the odds are incomprehensible!” And then they walk around in circles for two or three hours looking down and shaking their heads.

Actually, several years ago, a team of the world’s leading mathematicians at Cal Tech set to work calculating the odds that I would wind up with Nadia. They worked diligently, behind closed doors day and night, but it was no use. The odds were so astronomical against it that when a security team finally went in to find the mathematicians, they discovered them all laying on the floor clutching their calculators and muttering, “It’s not right, no one should be that lucky. The odds are totally against it.” Many of them had slide rules and pocket protectors hanging out of their mouths. It was a ghastly scene.

Of course, the simple answer is that they’re right. There’s no way I could be lucky enough to have such a wonderful wife. In fact, it has nothing to do with luck. It’s a “God thing”. I have been abundantly blessed by God. It seems that God just likes me so much that He said, “Alright, you don’t deserve it, but I’m really gracious, so…whatever…I’m going to wire her up to love you, you Knucklehead!” [This is a loose paraphrase.]

So, all I can say is: “Blessings and much love to my wife of 25 years. Nadia, I love you!”


P.S.  When God calls me “Knucklehead” it’s a term of endearment.

P.P.S.  Nadia, don’t pay any attention to those mathematicians at Cal Tech, what do they know, huh?


*About the picture on the bottom right:  When we told Rachel about our big, exciting day today, this was her response.

No comments: