Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Check Out Line

I had four check out lanes to choose from. But I never seem to get this right.

I looked at the number of people already waiting in each line. The lines were all about the same. Then I looked at the amount of stuff that the people in line had in their shopping carts. One of the lines appeared likely to be quicker so I made my selection and took my place.

I never seem to get this right.

What I did not look at was: the check out person. My check out person was a young man. He looked like he might have been in his teen years. He appeared to be healthy and I could tell from careful observation that he was, in fact, breathing.

But apparently, sometime during the course of his shift he had lapsed into a coma. It was an unusual kind of coma where you remain standing and you can swipe items over a scanner and push buttons on a cash register, but you do it all at around the same speed that a person who is in a traditional coma would do it.

So, there I stood shaking my head in bewilderment as a steady stream of people in the lines to my left and right had their items tallied, paid for their purchases, and continued on their way out the store talking and laughing and enjoying full, rich, harmonious lives. In the meantime my check out guy stood looking for the bar codes on a can of corn with glassy eyes.

You say, “Dan, how long did it take you to finally check out?”

I don’t know. I’m still here! I’m submitting this post from the check out line with my mobile phone. I think I’ve been here since late Wednesday evening, but I’m not sure anymore. It’s all a blur to me. I’ve eaten a number of items that were in my cart—including a greeting card—just to stay alive.

Someone, please, help me! There’s still one other person in front of me and my check out guy is calling for a price check on a yogurt six-pack although he’s actually holding a box of baby wipes in his hand.

“Therefore as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and PATIENCE.” Colossians 3:13
 
Patience.

Did I mention that I never seem to get this right?



[Submitted via mobile phone. Battery low.]

2 comments:

Mary said...

You didn't happen to pray for patience lately, have you? :) You know what happens....

Dan Marler said...

Yeah, that's the crazy part, I haven't been praying for patience lately, I know how dangerous that prayer can be!
lol