Monday, November 30, 2009

Here, Look In On The Annual Christmas Tree Ceremony At Our House


Well, the Christmas tree is up!  We had the annual Christmas tree ceremony at our house tonight. 

Come on, sing with me…

“O, Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Thy amber waves of grain!!!”

Hmm, I think I may have gotten my lyrics confused, there. Anyhow, the ceremony involves me laying on the floor under the tree for 10 minutes, or so, trying to get the Christmas tree stand properly set.

Once the stand is set and the tree is in place, we begin decorating the tree until it falls over. At that point, I get back on the floor and monkey around with the stand again, for another 5 minutes, or so, and then we continue decorating the tree.

Generally, the tree falls over two or three more times before I get the duct tape out and fix the situation for once and for all. Seriously, if no one told you, you would never even notice the strands of tape connecting the tree to the nearby wall.


It’s not falling over now! In fact, Brian Urlacher couldn’t knock it over now. (Is he injured or is he playing? I don’t know. That may be a lame reference. If it is, feel free to insert the name of any big strong guy you know.)

Anyhow, the tree looks lovely (see the photo accompanying this post).

Jasper (our dog) is fairly new to our house and he’s fairly new to the Christmas decorating process and, so, he is fascinated by it all. And his apparent confusion is understandable. On the other hand, I can’t imagine that a Christmas tree ornament either smells very good or tastes very good, so, even though he’s new to our Christmas traditions, eating the ornaments still doesn’t make sense.

Jasper is sitting very quietly and meekly by my feet right now, because he knows that Rachel is upset at him for eating ornaments. He’s very sensitive. He can tell when she’s angry. Alright, I guess he’s not THAT smart, the jumping up and down and yelling are a pretty obvious tip off.


At any rate, as the jumping up and down and yelling gradually begin to subside and a spirit of peace and calm, almost descends on our house, I wanted to take this moment to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Y… oh, wait… it’s still November, isn’t it? Okay, I’m a little early, I’ll get back to you on the Christmas greetings.  In the meantime, Happy November 30th!!!

No comments: