Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I Am Blessed...I Hope You Are, Too!


Well, I have eaten very little today in preparation for lots of eating tomorrow, Thanksgiving.

You say, “Dan, are you going to make it? Are you going to survive? You look weak!”

Don’t worry about me. I’m fine. Although a few minutes ago I was gnawing on the corner of my computer…..It tastes like chicken. [rim shot]

Oh, I know, this little program of mine probably sounds silly, but it’s a way of helping me not to feel so bad about eating a big dinner tomorrow. But I want to tell you that there’s been an interesting unintended benefit to my little tradition (the “tradition” that I’ve done one other time). This didn’t happen the last time I did this “Thanksgiving prep” so I wasn’t expecting it. For some reason, the process of eating very little today has had the effect of reminding me how blessed I am. It seems that “not having” all the typical meals has impressed upon my mind how much I really “do have”. I’m remembering today that…

I am wonderfully blessed;
…undeservedly blessed;
…generously blessed;
…surprisingly blessed.

Hmm, maybe I should do this more often.

I trust you can see and understand the ways that you are blessed, too. I don’t know everyone’s circumstances, but I suspect that in many ways, you are very blessed. I hope that’s true. And as we remember that God has been good to us, it is a great time to allow those blessings to be formed into expressions of our thankfulness to God.

Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD;
let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.
Let us come before him with thanksgiving
and extol him with music and song.
For the LORD is the great God,
the great King above all gods.
Come, let us bow down in worship,
let us kneel before the LORD our Maker;
for he is our God
and we are the people of his pasture,
the flock under his care.

   Psalm 95:1-3 & 6-7 (NIV)


Have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow…filled with love, joy, peace and true gratitude.  And remember to WHOM we are thankful!

No comments: