Saturday, July 20, 2013

Drive Thru Delay

I pulled up to the drive thru window and ordered my food.  Several cars were in line ahead of me and they were serviced in a normal amount of time.

After paying for the food at the first window, I pulled forward to the second window to pick up the order.

That’s when an unusual amount of waiting began.  At first, I reasoned, “Well, sometimes things happen.  So just relax, hold on a moment, and don’t get excited.”

But as the time ticked on I couldn’t help but look inside and I didn’t see anyone moving around.  I could see a couple of the cashier stations and they were not being covered by anyone.  I could see customers in the restaurant, but not workers.

I knew there were workers in the place because someone took my order and someone took my money.  As I mentioned, the cars in front of me were served in a reasonable amount of time. 

As the wait time increased, cars were lining up behind me and I could see the driver in the car directly behind my car.  He was looking at me and shaking his head as if to say, “What in the heck did you order?” 

I tried to give him a shrug and an I-don’t-know-what’s-going-on look.  But his body language and facial expression suggested to me that he wasn’t buying it.  He had determined I was at fault for this long delay.

But I had only ordered two items!  Two normal, popular items from the menu.  Nothing unusual.  (And the main item was a salad, so, don’t get upset that I was at a drive thru window!)

“What’s going on in there?” I thought, as I looked around for signs of life.

Finally, a young person came to the window and said, “Here.  Here you go.”  And practically threw the bag containing my order into the car.  Then, laughing, she disappeared from the window in a flash.

I glanced in the bag, verified that it contained my two items and pulled away.

I was puzzled but then I remembered the days when I worked at a place with a bunch of young folks and the adult bosses were gone.

As I recall, that’s when a lot of fun happened.



No comments: