Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"Stop Worrying!" Sure! But It's Easier Said Than Done

Some of us are wired up in such a way that we worry about… um… let’s see… well, pretty much everything.  By the way, when I write about being “wired up” in such a way, I’m not trying to use that concept as an excuse.  We need to trust in God and not worry.  However, this tendency for worry and anxiety is a part of the natural psychological profile for some of us.

I hate to admit it, it’s embarrassing, but I’m one of those with this tendency to worry.  I know, some of you are saying, “Just stop worrying, Dan.  Stop it.  Don’t do it anymore.”  I agree with your words of challenge.  You’re right.  But I hope you will be gracious and understand that it is easier said than done.

So, I find myself frequently, turning to the book of Philippians chapter 4, verses 6 and 7, and reading these words:  “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

The good thing about my struggles in this area is that they are, yet, one more reminder of my need for God’s help, His mercy, His love, His presence, His grace.


I’m glad that He is so generous with these qualities.  And I am thankful for the peace which transcends all understanding!

No comments: