Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Intelligently Interpreting The Media Spin

When talking heads in the media speak about the need to have a “conversation” or a “dialogue” regarding certain subjects in the culture, I’ve noticed that there seem to be times in which the real meaning is this:

“Your opinion is actually unwelcome and will not be tolerated. But I use words like ‘conversation’ so you will think the communication is going both ways while I tell you what you’re supposed to think.”

By the way, I know this post comes across as kind of cynical and I don’t like cynicism.  Actually I don’t mean it in a cynical way I mean it in this sense:  When people in the media talk it is not unusual that it involves “spin” or loaded words.  Therefore, it’s helpful for us consumers of media to be savvy and discerning so that we can intelligently interpret what they really mean.


No comments: