Wednesday, August 6, 2014

We're Pretty Good At Deceiving Ourselves

In order to live with ourselves we, sometimes, feel a desire to figure out ways to justify certain things that we’ve done, or maybe even things that we’re still doing.

Occasionally, when I observe people making their justifications I will think, “Are you kidding me?  That is such a flimsy excuse.  It’s obvious that what you’re doing is wrong and, in a sense, you know it’s wrong but you are desperately reaching for this weak rationalization to try to convince yourself it is alright.”

Then I shake my head and think, “Gee whiz, wake up! It’s amazing how people are so capable of deceiving themselves.”

But every now and then, when this happens, God will nudge me and this realization will come:  “Hey, you do this same type of rationalizing and justifying, too, Dan.”

If this happens to be one of those moments when I am willing to be very honest, I shake my head and think, “Gee whiz, wake up!  It’s amazing how I am so capable of deceiving myself.”


No comments: