Friday, August 15, 2014

A Long Drive Results In A Terrific Decision

Driving from South Barrington to Oak Lawn would typically take approximately one hour.  As anyone who lives in Chicago knows, however, the driving time depends on traffic conditions.   If traffic conditions are really congested the drive could be significantly longer.

Tonight on my way back from a conference I was attending, the drive from South Barrington to Oak Lawn took two and a half hours!   (Yes, you’re reading that correctly.  A one hour drive wound up taking two and a half hours.  I grew a nifty beard during the trip, which is helpful because I was pulling the hair out of the top of my head.)

There were times when we came to a complete stop for about 30 or 40 seconds, then slowly inched forward the length of 4 vehicles, only to completely stop again for about 30 or 40 seconds.  This pattern repeated over and over again for miles.  It was exasperating!  Turtles were racing past me, laughing.

So, you probably won’t be surprised to know that I’ve decided to get a helicopter.  It makes a lot of sense, doesn’t it?  I’ve heard you can get a used one for a decent price if you keep your eyes open and regularly check Craig’s List. 

The Driver’s Ed course I took in high school spent several weeks covering helicopter piloting—as I’m sure yours did.  Oh, I’ll have to brush up again because it’s been a while, sure, but I’m looking forward to getting back into the pilot’s seat.

I’m kicking myself because I should have thought about doing this years ago.  It’s going to be a real time saver!


No comments: