Sunday, August 24, 2014

Being A Juror

Well, the trial is over. The jury has been dismissed and I'm on my way home. That's the lovely Chicago River you see in the photo.  (I crossed that bridge on my way to the train station.)

I must say, the trial ended up going in a very unusual direction. In a surprise ruling, the judge and jury both found that the entire matter was, somehow, my fault.

"But I'm not even on trial, I'm a juror!" I protested.

"I know, that's what makes this such a surprise," said the judge. And he hit me several times with his gavel. (I'm fairly sure he's not allowed to do that.)

I've been ordered to pay the plaintiff, defendant, judge and jury an undisclosed amount. In addition, I've been instructed to "lay off the sweets." (That seems unnecessarily mean, doesn't it?)

I'm still not even sure how all of this happened but I'm really hoping that I've learned my lesson.

No comments: