Monday, August 18, 2014

Simple Pleasures... Like Lip-Synching "Babe"

I’ve heard that the simple pleasures in life are the best.  I think I may have experienced one of those simple pleasures today.

While Rachel and I were riding in the car, earlier today, the song “Babe” by Styx came on the radio.  For reasons that don’t matter right now, I know this song well.  So, I proceeded to lip synch the song including hand gestures matching the lyrics.  These antics were punctuated with me loudly and dramatically singing the word “babe” every time it occurred in the song. 

(By the way, the word “babe” occurs a lot in the song “Babe.”  I know that may seem obvious, but everyone who reads this may not be familiar with Babe…which, come to think of it, is a shame because it’s a nice little ballad.)

You might be thinking, “Gee Dan, it almost sounds as if you were making a fool of yourself.”

My response to that comment would be:  “Almost?”

However, this was cracking Rachel up.  That’s what made it fun for me.  She really found this to be amusing.

So, there we were driving down the road with me lip-synching and performing hand gestures to the song Babe while Rachel laughed and laughed.  Oh sure, we hit a few signs and knocked down a couple of mail boxes, but we all know that’s the price you have to pay, sometimes, for a good laugh!

It was definitely a simple pleasure—it might even be appropriate to call it a dumb pleasure. 

But it was fun.

…And that beats driving around with a frown while getting irritated at traffic.


No comments: