Saturday, August 23, 2014

I'm Not A Kill Bill Expert

When I walked up to the checkout counter two of the checkout clerks and one bagger were talking, very softly, about the movie, Kill Bill. I think they didn’t want a customer to know that’s what they were doing. So, as I got close they stopped talking and tried to look casual.

I walked up and said, “Alright! Kill Bill! Yes!!!” 

That broke the tension and they all laughed.

The bagger asked, “Have you seen Kill Bill?”

I said, “Yeah, I like movies that have martial arts.”

Then she mentioned some detail regarding a scene in the movie. Apparently, she had seen the movie many times. Unfortunately, I could not recall the detail she was referring to. In fact, at first, I couldn’t even recall the scene, at all.

She looked at her two co-workers with an expression that seemed to say, “This poor sap isn’t a true Kill Bill aficionado. He doesn’t have a clue.”

One of the check-out clerks shook his head, sadly.

I wanted to say, “I’ve seen the movie. Really!  I have!  It’s just that it’s been a while!”  But it was too late. My lack of expertise about the film had been clearly revealed. So, I took my bag of groceries, hung my head in shame and walked out to my car.

I learned a painful lesson:  Be careful when jumping into discussions about movies.


No comments: