Monday, August 4, 2014

Hold It! It's Just A Creepy Doll!!!

Earlier today we found a doll that was given to Rachel when she was a little girl.  It’s one of those baby dolls that looks very realistic. 

(Rachel had a similar type of doll when we were on an airliner last summer and as people boarded the plane some of them saw the doll and did a frightened double-take because it looked realistic in a slightly creepy way.  But that’s a story for another day.)

The doll was in a large storage bin in our basement and had been long forgotten.  Rachel was very excited when it was found.  So, it goes without saying that Rachel and I had to go to a store and get some baby “supplies” for her new doll. 

That’s how I found myself in the “baby” section of Target buying a newborn outfit, baby pacifier and tiny baby shoes.

At one point Rachel was trying to get me to buy baby formula.  I did not want to buy baby formula for this doll because it really bothers me to waste money in that way.  I have other more important ways of wasting money.

Referring to the doll Rachel said, “She needs to have food!”

A woman came around the corner, into our aisle, right as Rachel was making this plea and she heard me reply to Rachel, in a slightly irritated voice, “She doesn’t need to eat.  That’s a waste of money!”

The woman looked at our shopping cart filled with an infant outfit, baby pacifier and tiny baby shoes.  And then glared at me with a disgusted look on her face and turned and walked in the other direction.

I wanted to run after her and say, “No.  Wait.  You don’t understand.  I’m not talking about a real baby.  I’m talking about a weird, creepy doll!” 

But sometimes it’s better to just leave well enough alone.


No comments: