Sunday, August 31, 2014

Rachel Calls About Jasper's Eye

While we were at lunch, today, my phone rang. It was Rachel. She seemed to be having a hard time communicating.  I put her on speaker phone so that Nadia could listen to what she was saying, also.

I said, “What do you want, Rachel?”

She said, “Lucy bit off Jasper’s eye.”

Nadia and I looked at each other with a mixture of shock and surprise.

Our puppy, Lucy, has lots of energy, like most puppies. She is also sort of aggressive when she plays with our other dog, Jasper. Jasper is much bigger and stronger than Lucy, so, we never imagined that Lucy could actually injure Jasper.

My mind was racing, “What can we do? Is Rachel able to do something to help Jasper until we can hurry home? Just how badly has Jasper been injured?”

Nadia asked her, “Is Jasper bleeding?”

But Rachel was not responding. She was probably trying to put her thoughts together so that she could express them.

That’s when it suddenly it occurred to me. Rachel was talking about her stuffed animal, Jasper.

Nadia was still trying to figure out what we could do. I said to Nadia, “Rachel is not talking about Jasper, she’s talking about Jasper… I mean the other Jasper, her stuffed animal.”

“Are you talking about your stuffed animal, Rachel?” Nadia asked.

“Yes.” Rachel said.

We both breathed a sigh of relief.

I’m glad to report that the living, breathing Jasper is okay. The stuffed animal Jasper will probably be requiring some minor surgery involving a needle and thread. And you’ll be happy to know I had the chicken tenders for lunch. They were pretty good.


(P.S. Okay, I know, the chicken tenders info is probably not actually making you that happy.)



No comments: