Tuesday, March 8, 2016

We Need To Be Connected To Jesus To Do Works of Significance For Jesus

Followers of Jesus have to remain connected to Him, available to Him and obedient to Him in order to accomplish the things which matter in God’s kingdom.

This is a reflection of the truth that we need His guidance, His wisdom, His presence and His strength. We can think of it this way: to accomplish works of significance for Jesus, we need Jesus.

Because of my pride, I occasionally think this way: my skills, my talents, my education, my experience, my extensive learning, my best thinking are the key factors in doing God’s work. And then as an afterthought I will acknowledge, “Oh yeah, Jesus might be helpful, too.”

The flaw in my thinking is so obvious when it is laid out in this way, right?

Jesus was talking with His disciples one time about doing the work of the kingdom and He put it like this: 

“Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:4-5


No comments: