Monday, March 21, 2016

Responsibility Is A Pretty Valuable Character Trait, After All

I think “responsibility” is an underappreciated value. Being responsible brings to mind qualities like being steady and reliable. These concepts almost sound boring to most of us.

“That Joe is a steady fellow!”

It makes you want to yawn, right? It doesn’t seem very flashy or cool!

But responsible people are often the ones who get important things done. (Do you want a responsible person to oversee the building of the bridge you are driving on or an irresponsible person?)

Responsible people typically do not look to blame others if things don’t go as planned. (This is a big deal in our “everyone-else-is-to-blame-except-me” culture.)

When people find themselves facing serious problems it is usually a responsible person they turn to for help.

As I think about my life and the people who have had the most significant influence, I realize it has been the people who were responsible. Unfortunately, I think I often took their responsibility for granted. I thought their responsibility was a given, as if it was automatic and could never be any other way. I, often, did not appreciate what an important and valuable character trait it is.

I am realizing these responsible people are pretty special, after all.


No comments: