Saturday, September 13, 2014

Checking Out The New Mariano's

A new Mariano’s store opened this week about 4 blocks from my home and I’ve been hearing so much about it that I decided to go take a look.  I went to the store at 7:45 on a Saturday evening because I didn’t want to go when the place would be extremely crowded.

When I arrived I discovered that the place was extremely crowded.  (I’ve never been good at predicting how people will spend their Saturday evenings.)

I will admit it is a nice looking store and it smelled really good in the area where they cook things.

There were lots of free samples of food being offered.  At one point, a young woman approached me with a tray and said, “Would you like to try a sample of turkey, cranberry, walnut salad?”

I said, “Sure.”  And took the little cup.

She said, “It’s good, isn’t it?”

With a little grin I said, “It’s hard to tell from that small sample.  I may have to have another one.”  Then I chuckled.

She laughed and said, “No.”  And walked away.  I’m pretty sure she was joking around.

I wasn’t actually doing any shopping, I was just there to see what all the buzz was about.  However, I did pick up a container of oatmeal raisin cookies from the bakery.  When I got to the cashier area I did a double-take.  Every one of the lines were very, very long.  At least five shopping carts long.

“Oh no.  I don’t think so.” I thought.  “I’m not waiting in any of those lines just to get some cookies.” So, I put the container back and left.

I have a feeling Mariano’s is going to be just fine even though they missed out on the vast profits to be gained from my $3.59 in cookie sales.


No comments: