Friday, September 12, 2014

Bland Homogeneity, Sameness and Political Correctness

I think it may be possible that political correctness and the attempted thought control that goes with it has contributed significantly to a kind of bland homogeneity in thinking and communicating.  There is a bored sameness I am often encountering these days with books, movies, TV, radio, blog posts, magazines, talk shows and other forms of communication.  In fact, I think, in some ways, political correctness is contributing to our culture losing some of its creative edge.

I listened to a podcast a while ago in which it was suggested that stand-up comedians and radio shock jocks are more cautious about what they say nowadays.  I know this might be an odd point for a minister to be making but hang with me for a minute while I try to explain this a little further.

I’m not trying to defend all the things stand-up comedians and shock jocks say.  I’m quite certain people in both of those fields say lots of things I would find to be rude, offensive, inappropriate and just plain wrong.  However, it was interesting for me to hear people who have been involved for a long time in both of those fields talking about being in a cultural climate in which they understand they must censor some of the things they would say.  We’re talking about people who have historically been precisely the ones who would say all the things people know we’re not supposed to say.  They were the rebels who didn’t give a rip.  They were daring.  They were intentionally outlandish and outrageous.

These are the very people who push the boundaries.  These are the people who say what other people may secretly be thinking but would never in a million years speak out loud.  They find the odd things to poke fun at in all the various areas of life.

Please understand, I am not suggesting that if we simply allow stand-up comics and radio shock jocks to be even more vile, ugly, insulting, demeaning and outlandish the bland homogeneity in thinking and communicating will end and creativity will flourish.  In fact, I wrote this essay several months ago and have been hesitant to post it because I’m concerned I will be misunderstood.  I simply refer to that podcast discussion as an illustration.  It is an illustration of the stifling power of political correctness in our culture.  The point is that even for the people who were among the most likely to push boundaries the thought and speech police are having some effectiveness at shutting down free expression.

Think of it this way, if stand-up comics and shock jocks have some hesitation when it comes to speaking their minds what about the average guy who may have an opinion that doesn’t fall within the carefully defined parameters of the cultural watchdogs?

We talk a lot about being tolerant of different opinions and viewpoints but in some ways it really seems like we are becoming less tolerant.  Certain ideas and positions are correct and other ideas and positions are not correct. If your ideas are not the correct ones, we all know you better keep your mouth shut and be careful.

And my theory (it is just a theory, I’ve been wrong before) is that this has an effect.  I realize this is not the only factor, however, this politically correct censorship is a contributing factor to a bland homogeneity of thinking and expression.  I think it is possible that years and years of political correctness is even having an effect on creativity.


Fortunately, there are still some voices that are fresh, creative, interesting, unique, courageous, authentic and surprising.  Freedom of thinking and freedom of expression still exist.  I find myself searching for those voices, even when I disagree with them.  They challenge my thinking.  And at least, they’re not dull.  They are still out there.  I am more and more thankful for those brave voices.

No comments: