Thursday, June 26, 2014

Stretching At A Fast Food Joint

While Rachel and I were having lunch I looked over to the other side of the room and noticed that a man was going through an elaborate stretching routine.

This was not a situation in which he stood up and touched his toes a few times, this was two minutes of stretches using his chair and table as exercise equipment.

Please understand I don't think he was doing anything wrong and I suspect there are no laws or civil codes he was violating. However I think it's fair to say that what he was doing qualifies as somewhat unusual behavior. In all my years I have never before seen someone enter into a two minute exercise routine in a fast food restaurant.

At one point the man looked in my direction and noticed I was watching him. He then gave me a very angry look. He looked so mad that I thought he might come over and say something to me. In fact he stood up, adjusted his pants and took a step in my direction.

I thought, "Uh oh, now what's going to happen? This guy looks ticked!"

But fortunately, he didn't come my way. (I was rapidly trying to recall my years of training with Mr Miyagi.)

I'll admit I felt a little bit guilty about staring at him. But hey, firstly, I wasn't the only one looking at him. And secondly, if you launch into something like a yoga routine at a restaurant don't you have to expect that one or two people are going to curiously stare?

Yep, these are the kinds of small diversions that help keep life interesting.


No comments: