Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Doing The Right Things For The Right Reasons

Even after a lifetime of being committed to Christ and over 20 years as a pastor of a church I still find I have to carefully, honestly and soberly question my own heart and motives.

One of the truths I encounter in these times of reflection is that I am capable of doing right things for the wrong reasons. For example, I can look back now at right things I have done but recognize I did them, at least in part, out of selfish ambition; my motive was self-promotion.

You might say, "So what? If you did the right thing that's all that matters, isn't it? Who cares about your motives if what you wound up doing was right?"

God cares.

Because He loves me, the Lord Jesus wants congruency and integrity in every part of who I am.

You say, "Well, that's just overdoing things, isn't it?"

No, congruency and integrity is part of what must happen if we are to be conformed to the likeness of Christ as described in 2 Corinthians 3:18.

So yes, God wants me to do right things but He is perfect, complete and holy, therefore, He wants me to do the right things for the right reasons.


No comments: