Friday, June 13, 2014

What I Realized When I Attempted To Let My Faith Go

As a young man in college, it began to occur to me that I may have simply embraced the Christian faith because it was handed down to me by my parents.  I wondered, “Is it possible I think of myself as a Christian because I have been raised in a social context in which there is an expectation that I will accept this belief system?”

“Is it possible I have been brainwashed by sincere, kind, well-meaning people, but what has occurred is, nevertheless, a form of brainwashing?”
                                                                                              
I seriously wrestled with the possibility that I may have been attempting to live something which I did not actually own for myself.

So this may sound like a strange way to describe it, but it’s the best way I can put it into words: I gave myself permission to let it go.  In my mind, I gave myself permission to walk away from the faith if it was not what I really believed.

What I discovered in that time of searching, wondering, stretching and questioning is that I am unable to NOT believe in God. The conviction that God exists is undeniable to me.

The Christian faith involves the grace of God in a way that is beyond just an intellectual pursuit.  However, since those college years I have done a considerable amount of reading and study regarding God and the Christian faith and I remain sincerely convinced of its truth. 

No comments: