Saturday, June 7, 2014

Our Souls Need Silence and Solitude

The relentless stimulation to which we are exposed along with our exhaustive busyness have an effect on the condition of our souls.  I know this is true for me.  On more than a few occasions, I have found that when I do have time to simply relax it is hard for me to do so.  My mind won’t turn off and I crave the stimulation and busyness from which I say I desire escape.  When I actually do have some free time my soul can feel uneasy and fragmented.

We can grow distant from God in the course of our relentless hurry because He does not force Himself on us.

In his insightful way, Dallas Willard writes, “God will, generally speaking, not compete for our attention.  If we will not withdraw from the things that obsess and exhaust us into solitude and silence, He will usually leave us to our own devices.  He calls us to ‘be still and know.’”

Silence, solitude and even rest are spiritual disciplines.  It’s helpful for us to gradually learn to practice these disciplines because the soul transformation we desire does not adequately happen in the midst of endless rushing.


(Please know that I’m admonishing myself with this post.)

No comments: