Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Purpose of God's Laws: To Protect Us

Yes, God has rules or laws for living life.  But even though this can be hard for us to acknowledge, sometimes, God’s laws for living are not meant to restrict fun, or inconvenience us, or prevent us from the full experience of life. 

There have been times (too many times) when I believed that the best option for me involved a choice of action that would violate God’s laws.  I knew God’s way but I thought my way would be better, more fun, safer, easier, more pleasurable, more helpful to me, more effective, etc…

I have an extraordinary capacity for rationalizing the things I want to do.  How about you?  This is also known as self-deception; except when I’m in the midst of rationalizing something.  Then I know it as, “Gee, it’s amazing how smart I am!”

I have not arrived at some point of perfection, however, I have come to see that the purpose of God’s laws are to protect us and to protect that which is sacred.  I sincerely encourage you to take a moment to ponder this reality.  In fact, I will repeat the thought:  The purpose of God’s laws are to protect us and to protect that which is sacred.

If we will think honestly and carefully about this I believe we will recognize it as truth.

He loves us, He knows us better than we know ourselves, and He wants what is best for us.



No comments: