Saturday, May 11, 2013

Buying Flowers And The Guy Bond


Jewel was bustling tonight.  I guess I should clarify that I’m referring to “Jewel” the grocery store.  I saw several men at the store carrying flowers that, no doubt, they were buying to give to their mothers or, perhaps, their wives.

I was carrying flowers and I saw another guy who was also carrying flowers.  He smiled at me and nodded as we passed each other. 

I didn’t know this man and he didn’t know me.  There was no reason for a smile and a nod, except this:  The Bond.  The Guy Bond.  It’s a bond that needs no words.  In fact, words will often tend to ruin the Guy Bond because words are so loaded with unnecessary letters and syllables and wordy-ness.  The Guy Bond is a bond between guys because guys know.  There are situations in which we simply have to look at each other and we know.

Some of you are reading this and you might be wondering, “What are you talking about?  What in the heck is the Guy Bond?  What do you know?”

You see, that’s the problem.  If I have to explain the Guy Bond then there’s no way you can really understand the Guy Bond.  Oh sure, an explanation might help you grasp some basic pieces of information in a very rudimentary and unsatisfactory way.  But the only way to really know the Guy Bond is to be a guy and… well… to experience the Guy Bond.

Don’t feel bad if you don’t know the Guy Bond.  The Guy Bond just “is.”  It’s like the fact that gravity works.  No one feels bad about the reality of gravity.  That would be silly.  We know that gravity just “is.”

On my way out of the store a woman saw me carrying the flowers and she said, “Oh, those are very pretty.  Are those for your wife or your mother?”


I smiled and said, “They’re for my wife.”  And then I thought to myself, “Nice try.  But that involved way too many words.  It does not count as a Guy Bond.”


No comments: