Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Extraordinary Reality of God's Unfailing Love

It’s difficult for us to understand that God’s love for us is not conditional because our experience in life is that love always has some type of conditions attached.  So for example, no matter how much someone loves us we are capable of behaving in such a way that the person could possibly reach a point of exasperation and basically say, “I can’t take it anymore.  I’m done with you and your stuff!”

If a person can say “I’m done with you,” and exclude you from his/her life then the person’s love was conditional.  And by the way, I’m not being critical of this fact I’m suggesting we can all understand such a reality.

But this is why it is extraordinary to think that we cannot do something to make God reach a boiling point at which He says, “I can’t take it anymore.  I’m done with you and your stuff!”

God doesn’t love us when we finally get our act together in such a way that we deserve His love.  He loves us, first.  He loves us before we ever do the right thing.  He loves us even if we never do the right thing.

Please understand, it is obviously good for us to do the right thing.  God wants us to do the right thing.  This post is not an attempt to encourage people to do the wrong thing.  The point I’m trying to make has to do with God’s unconditional love.  His love is not based on whether we do the right thing.  This incredible truth is made known to us through verses like this one found in Romans 5:8…

“But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

No one will ever love you the way God loves you.  His love is complete, total, perfect and unfailing.  The more I understand this truth the more it makes me want to love Him back.


No comments: