Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A Mysterious Helper At The Store

I was talking with a young woman who works at Toys R Us, asking her a question about a tablet that is made specifically for kids.  The device is something that Rachel wanted to buy with some of her money.

Now, I realize a young worker at Toys R Us can’t possibly know the answer to questions about all the hi-tech devices in the store.  But I figured, there is no harm in asking.   

In response to my questions, she simply said, “I don’t know.”  Then we both looked at the box in which the device comes and tried to determine if the answers to my questions could be discerned from the info on the packaging.

A few seconds later, the store worker was called to another task.

(I didn’t hear anyone call her but, anyhow, that’s what she said.)

As I stood there trying to figure out what to do, a young mom with two little kids in her shopping cart came around the corner from another aisle.  “I don’t think you want that device,” she said.

“Oh, really?” I said.

She said, “I don’t mean to be nosey, but I heard you talking to the young woman.  We have one of those and it won’t do what you are looking for.”  And she repeated, “I’m not trying to butt in, I’m just saying that’s my experience.”

I said, “No need to apologize.  I’m glad for your help.  That’s what I needed to know.”

She said, “You’d be better off with another type of tablet.”  And she named a couple of alternatives.

I said, “Thanks, I don’t have any idea about these things.  So, I appreciate your help.”

She said, “You’re welcome.  I know what it’s like to spend money on something and then find out it’s not what you wanted.”

I pulled out my phone to call Nadia and tell her about these latest developments.  But before I called the number I turned to give the young mom one more word of thanks for her help.  But in that brief instant she was already gone.

I looked around in every direction and thought, “What?!?  Where did she go?”  It was like a little Christmas miracle.

P.S.  Alright, I saw the young mom again when I was getting in my car in the parking lot of the store.  So, she wasn’t a mysterious angel or anything like that.  But she was someone who offered a little kind help to me.


No comments: