Saturday, November 22, 2014

Heart Tests And Self Honesty

This morning I had a medical test.  I’m not having problems, this was simply a routine procedure which my doctor ordered because I haven’t had this particular test in a while and he felt it would be good to check it out.  The test is called an echocardiogram.  An echocardiogram involves ultra sound technology.  A medical website I looked at describes an echocardiogram as “a test that uses sound waves to create pictures of the heart.”  It goes on and states, “For one out of five patients the echocardiogram procedure is terminal.”

My mouth dropped open and I did a double-take as I read that line!  “Terminal! What…!?!” Then I realized I was on a satire website.  (It’s important to read the fine print.)

The woman who did the procedure was nice and very professional. But she also joked around and did a good job of making sure I felt comfortable.  She asked for my birthdate and she also asked for my height and weight.  My response?  “Six foot 4 inches, 175 pounds.”

She laughed and put her own numbers in the log.  (They were not as flattering as mine.)

At the conclusion of the test I said, “I know you are not allowed to interpret the test results, however, did you see anything that looked unusual or not typical based on your experience administering this test?”  Because of our earlier conversation during the procedure I knew she had been doing this type of work for 25 years.

She said, “I am not allowed to say anything about the test results, either positive or negative.”  With a smile, though, she went on to say, “But I’m letting you walk out of here and go home.”

We both chuckled.

There is a different type heart test mentioned in the book of Psalms.  It says this, “Test me, LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind…”  Psalm 26:2  This has to do with our spiritual health and our willingness to be honest with ourselves before God.

Tests have to do with self-honesty.  Self-honesty isn’t always easy.  But it’s always helpful.

NOTE:  If you would like to receive these “Daily Thought” posts to your e-mail, just send an e-mail to this address (cog111st@aol.com) and write: “Please send the Daily Thought” in the subject field.



No comments: