Thursday, July 17, 2014

Tribute To Guitar Legend Johnny Winter

I was 18 years old and I was driving home on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in the summer.  As I flipped through the radio dial, I landed on the eclectic Chicago radio station, WXRT, and was immediately mesmerized by the fiery guitar lines I was hearing.

“Who the heck is playing guitar like this?” I wondered.

The song that was playing is the one I have attached to this post.  I was floored.  Thrilled.  Impressed.  Excited.  Inspired. 

                                           Click here to play song. 

It was a long song and as it continued to play I was laughing and shaking my head saying, “This guy is killing it!  Who is this?!?”

As the song came to an end I thought, “Please let the DJ mention the name of this artist or the title of the tune.  I have to find out who this is.”

The DJ said, “That was ‘Highway 61 Revisited’ from the album ‘Johnny Winter Captured Live.'”

Johnny Winter.

I later discovered that Rick Derringer is playing on the song as well.  (He’s not half bad, himself…. And he has one of the best rock and roll names, ever.  Rick Derringer.  That sounds like the name of a hot shot guitar slinger, doesn’t it?  I tried to get my parents to change our last name to Derringer.  You can imagine my shock when they wouldn’t do it.)

I quickly went and purchased the album and became a fan of the legendary blues/rock guitar virtuoso.  I was learning to play guitar.  (I’m still learning.)  And someone who played like Johnny was an encouragement and an inspiration to me.  This kind of guitar playing is literally a thing of great beauty that moves my heart.

So, you will understand I was sad when I woke up this morning and learned that Johnny has died.

This post is my tribute to a phenomenal guitar player who was one of my early profound musical influences.  God bless you, Johnny.  Your gift was truly special and exquisite.  Thank you for the many hours of enjoyment and inspiration your extraordinary music has given to me.


No comments: