Friday, July 4, 2014

Having A Spirit Which Prizes Liberty

“Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as a heritage of all men, in all lands, everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors.” Abraham Lincoln

Lincoln believed there is a “spirit which prizes liberty” and, based on the quote above, he apparently understood that this spirit isn’t automatic.  It is something which must be intentionally preserved.

Long before I was ever born there were courageous people in this country who possessed this spirit which prizes liberty.  They spoke of liberty, wrote about it and argued eloquently for it.  Some of these folks even fought and sacrificed for it… and, thankfully, they continue to do so.

Liberty is a form of self-determination and freedom that carries with it responsibility.  I pray we will continue to accept that responsibility.  I pray we will make an effort to preserve the spirit which prizes liberty (and I include myself in that prayer).

Liberty is a big deal.  And I suspect it is possible for people not to appreciate how wonderful it is until they no longer have it. My heart is grateful for the liberty that has been an incredible part of my life experience in this remarkable country.  I hope yours is, too.


And I hope you have a safe and happy Independence Day!  God bless America.

No comments: