Wednesday, September 2, 2015

What About Racial Unity... Is It Possible?

When I was young I remember thinking the racial tension that is sometimes felt and expressed in ugly, hurtful, unproductive, even violent ways would probably be reduced as I got older. I thought—I hoped—the issue of racial strife would lessen and perhaps get to the point at which it was no longer a difficult, divisive issue.

“We will get beyond the misunderstandings, the injustices of the past, and the hard feelings. At some point love and respect for each other will prevail. There will still be some exceptions, sure, but for the most part we will get along. We will have fun together! It will be good.” I thought.

I’m not kidding. I truly believed this was likely. I was young and hopeful.

So when I look around at our society these days my heart is grieved.

I know that brotherhood, sisterhood, true friendship, heartfelt love and unity between people of different races are possible. These kinds of loving relationships happen all the time. They actually happen every day. I have experienced this type of love and unity on a personal level and many of the people who read this post have, as well. But these simple truths do not make headlines or scintillating stories. So they are not routinely brought to our attention.

Some of the people who read this are not Christians and so I understand this next line of thinking will not offer much in the way of authority or persuasive force in those cases. But for many of us who consider Jesus to be Lord, we are called to love. We are called to forgive. We are called to extend the hand of friendship. We are called to seek understanding. We are called to treat all people with dignity. We are called to let the goodness and truth of God flow out of our lives to others.

And we are called to be different. In this case “different” means having a genuine love, respect and fondness that reaches across what some might think of as insurmountable relational barriers.

I pray the reconciliation I hoped for when I was a kid will happen. I still believe it is not impossible.

“So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” Jesus, John 13:34-35


P.S. I realize as an older, middle-class, white male some people will believe I have no business even addressing this topic because I cannot possibly understand what people have experienced due to racism. It is true that I do not know the pain many people have experienced due to racism. But what I am doing with this post is simply sharing my desire to see genuine healing in this important area of life. If that means there will be disapproval of me for expressing these thoughts, then so be it.

No comments: