Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Total Contentment, Joy And Confidence In Your Everyday Experience of God - A Healthy Soul

John Ortberg, a pastor of a large church, asked his friend and mentor, Dallas Willard, what he needed to do to help his church experience greater levels of spiritual growth.  John was frustrated because the people of his church were not “changing” in the positive spiritual ways he was hoping for.

After John’s question Dallas paused for a long time and said, “You must arrange your days so that you are experiencing deep contentment, joy, and confidence in your everyday life with God.”

John’s response to Dallas’ instruction was:  “Huh?”

They talked about Dallas’ answer and after some conversation back and forth John said this…

“But how can I have total contentment, joy, and confidence? … My work isn’t going nearly well enough.  Lots of people are not happy with me.  I am inadequate as a pastor, husband, and father.  Every week I carry the burden of delivering a sermon and knowing I’ll have to feel the pain it if doesn’t go well.”

Dallas then responded like this…

“I didn’t say you should experience total contentment, joy, and confidence in the remarkable adequacy of your competence or the amazingly successful circumstances of your life.  It’s total contentment, joy, and confidence in your everyday experience of God.  This alone is what makes a soul healthy.”

John shares this exchange in his book, “Soul Keeping: Caring For The Most Important Part of You.”  What Dallas told John sounds like a very simple idea but it is profound.  I encourage you to take a moment to quietly, seriously ponder the truth of what he said.  When I read this story earlier today it touched, encouraged and challenged my heart in a significant way. 

I want to find contentment, joy and confidence in God.  I want to find delight in Him, in the midst of all the circumstances of life.  Is that really possible?  I believe it is. 

I hope, as you consider these thoughts, God uses them to do something significant for your heart, too.



Dan Marler
First Church of God
Oak Lawn, IL

No comments: