Saturday, April 5, 2014

As Jasper Watches Lucy Train

Our dog, Jasper, was watching intently as Nadia took our puppy, Lucy, through some of her training exercises. 

Part of Jasper’s interest is based on the fact that he loves food.  When I say he loves food I mean there’s a strong possibility that he loves food even more than I do.  That’s a serious passion.  (We both are partial to pizza.)

As Nadia gave Lucy commands which she did not follow, Jasper responded properly.  He would “sit.”  He would “lay down.”  He would “stay.”  All the behaviors that Lucy would not perform, Jasper perfectly executed. 

And yet Lucy continued to get the treats while Jasper just watched, thinking, “She’s not even doing these things properly but she gets the treats, while I do all the tricks perfectly and get nothing.”

At one point a long string of drooling saliva hung from Jasper’s mouth almost reaching the floor.  I thought, “That string of drool is actually a pretty good trick, right there.”  (Try it.  It’s not that easy.)  So, I got a treat and gave it to Jasper.

He happily took the treat and ate it but he looked at me and shook his head as if to say, “Things have gotten very puzzling around this place.”


No comments: