Monday, April 14, 2014

The Guy On The Elliptical

Did you ever have one of those days in which you did not want to go to the gym?

Well, that’s how I felt this morning.  But I pushed myself.  I overcame the inertia.  I got myself in gear and went even though the innate desire was not present.

However, when I arrived, I still did not feel like I had any energy.  So, when I stepped up onto the treadmill it felt as if I was plodding along with a 30 pound sand bag around my neck.  I did not set a high incline on the machine nor did I set a very fast walking pace.  I’m admitting to you that I just didn’t have it.  (Okay sure, the breakfast burrito from McDonalds, on the way over, probably didn’t help.  I’ll grant you that.  But, still…)

But then I noticed a young man on one of the elliptical machines who was going at a faster pace than I’ve ever seen before.  I’m not kidding when I tell you it looked like a video that had been adjusted to a higher speed.

I thought, “Wow!  Look at that guy!  That kind of pace is amazing!!!”

I actually laughed while I watched him.  It was a sight to behold.  It was inspiring.  It was motivating.  Watching this young fellow made me feel better.  I said to myself, “You know what?  Sometimes you’ve got to bring it, even when you don’t feel like it.  You’ve got to rise above the temporary emotions of the moment.”

You say, “Dan, did this encouragement cause you to increase the incline and the pace on the treadmill?”

No, it did not. 

But I’ve noticed a crispness, a vitality, and a certain vigor as I sit here typing this story.


No comments: