Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Life Passes Quickly, Make It Count, Happy New Year

At this point in the game, the conclusion of another year reminds me how quickly life passes.

There is a passage in the book of James that says, “What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.” James 4:14.

I know that’s not exactly the most cheerful pick-me-up you might read today.  But hang with me for a moment, I’m not sharing it in order to be depressing.  Actually, the truth of that verse can be motivating.  We can allow the fleeting aspect of life to encourage us to live with purpose and intention.  It can be a reminder to us to make this moment count.  It can awaken us to an awareness and appreciation of eternity.

You and I are here for a reason.  Our lives matter. 

It is helpful to know that we realize the purpose of our lives with the greatest effectiveness when we live the way our Creator made us to live.

The following is a portion of an old poem by a missionary named C.T. Studd.  When I was young I thought this line was hokey.  I still think it’s hokey, but now that I’m older I realize that hokey little lines from poems can contain great truth:

“Only one life ‘twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.”

So long 2013!  My prayer is that 2014 will bring all my online friends abundant, significant, (non-hokey) life.


Love and blessings,

Dan


No comments: