Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Generosity, God's Provision and Suffering

I recently had the following interaction, online, with a friend.  I hope you'll take a moment to read...


My Original Post:

Real generosity generally requires people to believe that there will always be provision. In other words, in order to be willing to give freely of what we have, it is important for us to believe that our basic needs will be provided.

We have this question: “If I give away some portion of what I have, will I hurt myself or will there be enough?”

So there is a trust factor involved in generosity. Generous people look to the Provider in a way that reveals authentic trust.

“And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:9



My Friend Susan’s Comment Regarding The Original Post:

I know this to be true. Yet, I struggle with things like the people in the Philippines right now, who have no food or water, and the folks trying to help are unable to reach them. Unless food and water aren’t included in "all your needs", I can't help but understand the worry these people have. I'm not disputing the verse, as it has reminded me so often not to worry about things I can't control and to put my trust in God. I just put my hope in God, that He orchestrates some miracles so that people can receive their basic needs. Any other's struggle with this kind of stuff?



My Reply To Susan’s Comment:

I think all of us can relate with the struggle you have described, Susan.  It is hard for us to make sense of events like the recent devastation to so many from the storm in the Philippines.  We’re bothered by the heartache and agony that happen in this broken world. I like what you said about putting your hope in God and trusting that He will orchestrate miracles so people can receive their basic needs.  I agree.

I honestly do not claim to have answers to issues like the ones you have raised; issues that have stymied people for thousands of years.  But it does give me some small sense of consolation to know that God does not view human pain and struggle from some cold detached vantage point on high.  Rather, He has entered into the turmoil of this world and endured misery and suffering Himself, first-hand.  He does not take a position like this, “Oh, you guys are dealing with pain, huh?  Hmm, that’s too bad.  I don’t know what that feels like.”

I understand this does not answer the questions you’ve raised or clear up the confusion.  Like I said, I struggle, too.  And I appreciate that even though you are a believer you are willing to honestly express your struggles.  I always appreciate honesty.  Honesty can sting sometimes, but it’s still right.

My post that prompted your comment had to do with generosity.  When we think about what has happened in the Philippines, the concept of generosity is definitely relevant.  The generous help of others, in terms of many forms of aid, will certainly be necessary for the many people who are suffering due to this storm.

Most everyone who reads this post will probably have an opportunity to give in some way to the relief efforts that have been mobilized to help those who are hurting.  Let’s choose to be generous.

Thanks again, for your thoughtful, honest comment, Susan!

Love and blessings,
Dan



No comments: