Friday, January 11, 2013

Pray For Revival? Really?


Last summer I was at a meeting where I heard a brilliant Christian philosopher speaking about our culture and some of the issues that we're facing these days. After his talk there was a Q&A time.  I stood up, walked to the microphone and suggested that things did not look very positive for our culture, in some ways, from the standpoint of people embracing and living with a commitment to Christian values.   “We appear to be moving quite decisively in a particular direction,” I said, “and it seems unlikely that this would turn around.”

The speaker gave me a little good-natured teasing about what appeared to be a slight lack of faith on my part. But then he reminded the other participants at the institute, along with myself, that spiritual revivals had happened in the past and, in fact, it was possible that such a thing could happen again.  He suggested that the church needed to seriously pray for revival.

I've thought a good bit about the idea of revivals since my experience that day and more recently I've sensed God leading me to consistently, earnestly pray for a spiritual revival in our country and to encourage others to do so, as well.

I find that I’m a bit surprised at myself.  This probably doesn’t sound very good, but, to be completely honest, I was not particularly inclined toward the idea of revivals.  And part of the reason for that probably has to do with the fact that I have certain connotations in my mind associated with the word “revival.”  In fact, I've actually struggled a bit with using the word "revival."  I’m aware of the fact that the word revival sounds old fashioned and perhaps even ridiculous to some people.  It’s not a very hip word to throw around in our culture.  Perhaps “spiritual awakening” would be better.  But despite my reluctance, the word revival keeps coming back to my mind, as I pray about this.

I grew up in a time when the concept of revival sometimes meant a series of meetings at a church in which an evangelist was brought in to preach every night of the week to people who were, for the most part, already converted.

As I pray for revival in our country that's not what I'm talking about.  In fact, I have no interest in a series of meetings every week night at a church.  (As a pastor, I’m already at church plenty of nights during the week.)  When I speak of a revival, I'm talking about true spiritual conversion.  I'm talking about large numbers of people accepting Christ and experiencing a genuine transformation of their hearts and lives through a work of the Holy Spirit. I'm talking about an authentic movement of God's Holy Spirit that has a significant, positive, widespread effect on our culture.  

Some people might say, “A revival?!?  Are you kidding?  Having more phony Christians walking around pointing their fingers of condemnation at everyone else is exactly what we don’t need!”

I agree.

I’m not suggesting that we need more self-righteous people looking down their noses at others.  I am, however, suggesting that we need a true movement of God’s Holy Spirit in which people encounter God and as a result, they begin thinking and acting more like Christ.  Wouldn’t it be a good thing for a culture to have lots of people who are genuinely loving, forgiving, helpful, morally virtuous, joyful, gracious, authentically concerned about the well-being of others, merciful, honest, humble, patient, etc.?

I'm not talking about our culture becoming more religious. I don't see that as the fundamental need. The fundamental need is for people's hearts to change and become more like Christ.  In fact part of what is motivating this desire in me to pray for revival is the issue of getting at fundamental needs, or actually it might be better to put it this way:  dealing with root causes.

As I hear various people in the media—the voices that get the most attention—talking about possible solutions for the troubles in our society. I can't help but notice that their solutions: 1) often do not deal with the root cause of the problems; and 2) disregard God and the role of the spiritual.

I'm not surprised by this. In fact this is what I would expect.  I do not expect secular people in a materialistic culture to discuss the need for God and a powerful work of the Holy Spirit on the Sunday morning news shows.  (By the way, I should say that many times the issues that these folks are raising are valid subjects and are worthy of discussion; they are not irrelevant matters.)

What I'm talking about, however, is largely dependent upon God. It is spiritual in nature in fact, dare I say it? It is supernatural in nature.

I know there are people who will laugh at what I'm writing here and call it silly or perhaps even dangerously stupid.  That's okay.  Anyone who presumes to present the importance of God and call for the intervention of God when it comes to the ills of a culture should be prepared to be called silly or stupid.

However, here is my request:  If you are in a place where you could entertain the possibility that what ails our culture might require a solution that involves a work of God and genuinely transformed hearts, I invite you to join me in prayer for an authentic spiritual awakening; a revival. If you feel led to do so, you might even share this post with others.  (It would be good and helpful if lots of people were praying about this.)

Could such a thing happen?  Could a genuine revival happen in the United States at this time in history? 

Answer:  “With God, all things are possible.” –Jesus.

“…If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14

Humbly,

Dan Marler


No comments: