Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Getting Tired of Hearing The "Experts"


I was watching a panel of distinguished experts who all wore very nice neckties on an all-news channel and they were talking with confidence and authority about what “could happen” and what “could not happen” regarding some of the current political stories.

As I listened carefully, their discussion became even more earnest and then I noticed that suddenly, their voices began to sound, to me, like the strange honking-type noise that was used when any adults spoke on the old Charlie Brown animated specials.  The “experts” were still speaking normally, but they sounded, to my hearing, like empty, vacuous noise.

“Wah, wah wah, waaah, wah wah waaaaah!”

For a moment I was puzzled about what to do next.  But then it hit me and I flipped through the channels and found a “Road Runner” cartoon.  

I smiled and said, “Ahhh, yes. Indeed!” 

The intellectual brilliance that I encountered there was much more profound.

(And, frankly, there’s great practical value in knowing how to make a giant slingshot that can launch yourself out over a cliff.)

No comments: