Friday, October 15, 2010

What Happens When A Non-Techno Guy Starts Tweeting?

I walked down into the legendary lair this evening to find out what was going on.  I knew something interesting had to be brewing because Taylor is home for the weekend with his good friend—and our good friend—Josh Powell.

As I reached the bottom of the steps I noticed that all the guys in the lair were furiously pounding away on computers.

“What are you guys doing?” I asked.

“We’re setting up Twitter accounts,” they replied.

Ah, yes, Twitter.  The magical lure of Twitter had to happen sooner or later, didn’t it?  I chuckled, knowingly, at how prone these young people are to the technological fads of the moment.

“How’s that going?” I asked.

“I’m still trying to figure it out,” Taylor told me.

Well, as you might guess, after several minutes of watching this activity, my brain began to race, my pulse started to quicken, and the excitement of the moment got the best of me.  I’m very predictable, in this way.  So, I ran upstairs grabbed my trusty laptop and ran back down into the lair.  Now there were four people on-line, Wi-Fi-ing our way onto the new and exciting frontier of Twitter…and I was one of them!

And I can happily report to you that I now have a Twitter account!!!

Yep, you read that properly.  I’m a Twitterer.  A Tweeter?  A Twitterite?  Whatever.  In fact, this was the content of my very first tweet…

“Okay, I'm on Twitter! Wow! This is cool! I'm on Twitter and I'm tweeting! Whoo hoo!!! .....Um...now what happens?”


It brings a tear to your eye, huh?

You say, “Dan, this is awesome!  This is fantastic!  How do we follow you on Twitter?”

I don’t know.  I still haven’t figured out what to do with it or what value it is.  In fact, judging from an error message that I received, there’s a slight possibility that I unintentionally messed up some type of functionality for several thousand other fellow Twitterers.  I’m hoping that’s not true.  But I have received several caustic mobile messages from Twitter users containing strong and, frankly, somewhat objectionable language.

[Note To Self:  Hmm, perhaps I should withhold my e-mail and mobile access until I actually know what I’m doing, huh?  ….Nah, that’s no fun.]

Nevertheless, I’m pretty sure that I successfully sent out a few tweets.

I know, I know, my grasp of this new social networking technology is an impressive thing to behold. 

Anyhow, I’m on my way!  And, I’m slightly confused, but, as best as I can tell at this point, I can be found on Twitter here:

http://twitter.com/danmarler




No comments: