Monday, October 18, 2010

How's That Attention Span Doing, These Days?

My attention span is getting very short.  How about yours?

I’ve been noticing this when I’m watching short video clips on-line.  Yesterday, I watched a video clip that was 3:26 in length.  And it was too long for me.  As it played, I kept thinking, “Come on, come on, come on, get to the point!”  It was 3 minutes and 26 seconds!!!  And it was too boring and lengthy for me.

Someone sent me a recommendation for another video clip and I didn’t even bother because I noticed that it was 4:38.  “Uh uh.  No way.” I thought, “I’m not watching something that’s 4:38.  Are you kidding?  Do you think I’ve got all day?!?”

Is it just me or is everybody’s attention span getting shorter?

(I know, you’re probably saying, “I haven’t been paying attention…and by the way, who are you?”  Okay, I’ll grant you, that’s a good one.)

I read a lot of books and I watch very little TV, so, somehow, in my mind, I think my attention span wouldn’t be negatively affected.  But it is.

…Now, let’s see, what was I talking about?  Oh yeah, attention spans.

Last night I had another indication that my attention span is decreasing.  Rachel and I were watching “The Hulk”.  But I was also reading a biography of Jesus, during the commercials and the slow parts of the movie.  (That’s an interesting combination.  Try it sometime.  Try to simultaneously digest, mentally:  a troubled man who turns into a raging, big green monster; and the life of the Lord Jesus.)

But here’s the amazing part.  At one point, the movie was playing, I was reading the book and my mind started to wander.  The next thing I know, I began sending a text message to my son, Taylor, who had just returned to college from a weekend trip home.

So, now, there I was watching a movie, reading a book and text messaging all at the same time!  And, quite frankly, I was starting to get just a little bit bored so I reached for some headphones to listen to a little music, too.

Did I mention that I was doing all this while I was driving on icy, winding mountain roads in the fog?!? 

Okay, I’m kidding about that part, I wasn’t driving.  But sheesh!  Do you see what I mean?  Our attention spans are shot! …You know?....Hello?....Is anyone reading this any longer?....Hello?...Are you there?...Anyone?...

Oh boy, I’m going to have to start making these short notes just a little bit shorter.

No comments: