Saturday, May 8, 2010

Trip To Anderson...Summer Break Begins

Last night Nadia and I drove to Anderson, IN to pick up Taylor from school.  He has officially completed his freshman year…I can hardly believe it!  (But I stopped in to check with school officials and they confirm that it’s true.  And then they charged me $250.00 for asking.  College is expensive.)

On the way to Anderson, we got stuck in a horrible traffic jam in Indianapolis.  One of the worst I have seen in a long time.  Have you ever traveled about 3 or 4 miles over the course of 50 minutes, on an interstate highway?

Grrrrrrr!!!!!  It’s really frustrating.

[By the way, I looked up “Grrrrrrr” in the dictionary and couldn’t find it.  But I’m pretty sure that’s how I felt, even if it isn’t a real word.]

And then, when we finally got to the point where the traffic started to move freely, do you know what it was that caused the traffic congestion? 

….Well, join the club.  Neither do we!

There was no wreck.  There was no incident involving large amounts of debris all over the highway.  There was no escaped elephant from a local zoo laying down on the highway taking a nap.  There was nothing!  As far as we could tell, there was nothing that caused this terrible gridlock.  At a certain point on the highway, the traffic just started moving again.

Has that ever happened to you?  Stuck in heavy traffic, barely moving, frustration…and then, at some point, it just starts moving again for no apparent reason?  Why, I ask you?  Why?  Perhaps it’s one of those imponderable mysteries to which we’ll never know the answer.

We were planning to meet Taylor and Lauren for supper at about 8pm.  But because of this traffic jam, we didn’t end up getting to the restaurant until about 9:30pm.  This incident made for a long, frustrating, exhausting, patience-draining trip.

Fortunately, on the way home today, there were no troubles, no major traffic incidents.  And after we got to the house and unloaded all of Taylor’s stuff, I was ready to lay down and rest for a few minutes.

But guess what?  Yep, you guessed it.  An elephant from the local zoo was taking a nap in my bed, so I couldn’t lay down!

Grrrrr!!!!

[I just looked it up again.  It’s still not in the dictionary, but maybe if I use it often enough the folks at Webster’s will catch on and include it in the next edition.]

No comments: