Monday, February 15, 2010

Push-Up Project: The New Workout Begins

Today, I began the workout program that Paul has laid out for me so that by April 30th, I will be able to do 100 push-ups, non-stop.

After the workout, I told Nadia, “My legs are feeling it!”

She looked up from the computer and said, “What do you mean?  I thought you were working on push-ups?”

Well, Paul says the whole body has to be strengthened, even though push-ups, obviously involve, significant upper body conditioning.  You see, the arms and shoulders and chest are actually given assistance in the movement that’s involved in doing a push-up by a strong waist and torso and legs.  Apparently, our bodies are “whole units” and not just individual, unrelated parts.  Crazy, huh?

(I know.  There’s a 1 Corinthians 12 biblical teaching concept, regarding the importance of every part of the “body of Christ”, that is tied to the preceding paragraph.  Isn’t it neat how biblical concepts can be seen in so many aspects of life?)

Okay, that was one of my ministerial tangents.  Where was I?  Oh yes, so today, to begin working toward my push-up goal, I did lower body conditioning.  The workout included riding the stationary bike; lunges while holding dumbbells (“dumbbells” are exercise equipment, this is not a reference to any persons I know); squats; and burpees.

Do you remember what “burpees” are?  It’s an exercise that involves four movements.  1) From a standing position, squat down and touch the palms of the hands on the floor in front you; 2) now with your weight on your hands and a slight leap, thrust both legs, simultaneously, out behind you, at this point you will be in something like a push-up position; 3) with a slight leap, pull both legs, simultaneously, back into the squat position with your hands still on the floor; 4) now, straighten the knees and rise back up into a standing position.  That’s a burpee.

If you haven’t done burpees in a while, they’re not an easy exercise.  I did 4 sets of 12 burpees, today.  Then I immediately, jumped in the car, drove to Baskin Robbins and ate a banana split.  It seemed appropriate.  And, darn it, my legs feel better.

(Just kidding, Paul, no banana split was eaten.)
 
…But I did look at a picture of one, on-line.

One of the fun aspects of burpees, at my house, is that my proximity to the ground, while I’m doing this exercise, coupled with my legs churning vigorously, makes Jasper think that this is some type of “play” event that involves him.  But, eventually, he realizes that I’m not playing with him and he goes back to reading the newspaper.  (He’s gone back to “reading” as a hobby, he got tired of working on the Rubik’s Cube.)

Anyhow, I’m on my way to 100!!!  And I’m feeling stronger already!


No comments: