Monday, February 22, 2010

Push Up Project, Day 8

I’m on my quest to work my way up to doing 100 non-stop push-ups.  My deadline is April 30th.  I’m on Day 8 of my 75 day countdown.

Every time I tell people about this project, they are very encouraging.  I’m getting wonderful support.  Today at the restaurant where I hang out and do some of my reading and writing, I mentioned my project to Mary, one of the cashiers.  She said, “That’s great!  Here have a free cookie.”

Support.

Tonight, after supper at my sister’s house, she mentioned dessert.  And I said, “No, I better not, I’m training to do those push-ups.”

She said, “That’s great!  Here…” and she handed me a piece of my brother-in-law Paul’s birthday cake.

Support.

When I got home, later this evening, I petted Jasper on the head while I was sitting at the computer typing this note.  He said, “That’s great!” And he brought me a package of Twinkies from the kitchen.  (Actually, he brought 2 packages, but he ate one, himself.)

Support.

Today is the day of the week when the work-out that Paul created involves “squat thrusts”—or sometimes they’re called “burpees”.  After last week, I thought this particular exercise would be just a little bit easier this week.  You know, the legs get stronger, the muscles have begun the adaptation process, and the movement gets easier, right?

Nope.

I did the first set of squat thrusts this morning and it was very hard.  It almost felt harder this week than last week.  In fact, I hate to say this…it PAINS me to say this…it bothers me more than you will ever know to say this…but after that first set of squat thrusts….I felt old.

You say, "Wow, that's interesting, because you know what?  You LOOK old, too, Dan!"

Knock it off, wise guys.

But you know what?  I got warmed up and the blood started pumping and my resolve grew stronger.  And by the second and third set of squat thrusts…well…I felt even older.  Squat thrusts are not any easy exercise.  Have I mentioned that already?

But here’s what I did.  (Cue the “Rocky” theme song music.)  Since the squat thrusts were the hardest exercise, I did more sets of them.  Really.  I did.  I did 4 sets of 13 reps.  And then I did 3 sets of 15 reps.  Was it hard?  Yes.  But I figured, “Oh yeah?  I will be tougher than the squat thrusts!  I will beat them, they will NOT beat me!!!  Squat thrusts?  You will bow to my willpower and my discipline and MY SUPERIOR RESOLVE!!!!!!”

There I am, can you close your eyes and see it?  I’m standing at the top of the stairs, like Rocky, pumping my fists in the air as I jump up and down in slow motion, and the theme music reaches its inspiring climax!

By the way, does anyone out there have some crutches I could borrow?

No comments: