Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Saving Lives Is Tough Work...But Somebody's Gotta' Do It!

It’s as if Rachel and I are in an elite special ops force in the military!

What do I mean?  Well, before 10 a.m. we had already been out on a life saving expedition.

You might be saying, “Oh come on, Dan, you’re definitely exaggerating!”

Really?  Am I?

Ask the little frog who was in the parking lot.  (Actually, he won’t say very much, we found him to be extremely quiet and resistive to conversation…but you can still ask him.)  The poor little guy was very cold and having trouble moving.  He’s a tropical frog and we are definitely experiencing some un-tropically cold weather. He was in a spot in the parking lot of the condo complex where a car probably would have squashed him.  It was only a matter of time.  He was a sitting duck.

Rachel was the first one who spotted him and she said, “Hey, look at that little frog!  We better move him off of the parking lot.”

I said, “That’s a good idea.  But sometimes frogs have toxins on their skin, I don’t think we should pick him up with our bare hands.”

So, we coaxed him onto a paper plate.  (It was handy.)

As Rachel looked at him while holding him on the paper plate, I told her, “Okay, Rachel, frogs are really tasty.  Go ahead and have a bite.”

“Ewww!!!” she said.  That’s a direct quote.

We took him over to a spot on the grass where he was safe.  A spot where no cars would be driving.  A spot where no frightening dangers existed.

We set him gently in the grass and as we began to walk away I’m pretty sure…well, this might seem foolish…but…I think…well…I think I saw him smile at me.  It was a tender moment…a special moment between a man and a frog.  A moment that was interrupted when a bird swooped down, grabbed the frog in it’s powerful talons and took him away.

Saving lives, in the animal kingdom, can be heartbreaking work.





















Rachel saving lives...one frog at a time. 


No comments: