Saturday, January 30, 2010

Is This A Real Commitment To Love?

When I was in 8th grade there was a girl who was madly in love with me.  It’s hard to blame her, after all, you should have seen my haircut.  I knew that her commitment to love me was absolute and total when I saw that she had drawn a heart on her hand and written my name inside the heart along with the word “forever”.  Hey, “forever” is definitely a commitment!  Right?

We began officially dating on a Wednesday and a day and a half later, on Friday, she told me she couldn’t go out with me anymore.

I said, “But technically speaking, we haven’t actually gone out anywhere, yet.”

She said, “I know.  It’s better this way.”

I’m still not sure what that means but I’m fairly certain it’s not a compliment.

There’s a genuine commitment that is a significant aspect of really loving someone.  When we love the way God calls us to love, the standard of commitment is high.  In fact, it looks like the commitment that is described in Romans 8:38&39, “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

That’s a commitment to love.

That Friday afternoon, back in 8th grace, I looked at my former girlfriend’s hand and the heart, along with my name, was washed off.  Ouch!

It’s nice to know that God still loves me.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Dan, I have to tell you that when I first read this story on the Love God and Love Others page on Facebook, I was thinking "Wow this sounds like Dan". It wasn't until I looked at the founding info on the page that I saw the link to your blog. I hadn't realized that you set up that page, which I do love. But now I'm trying to figure out where you're getting all this time to write! :) But I do appreciate it. The first thing I do when I get on a computer in the morning is check for any messages that you've shared. Love you! (But I'm not writing it on my hand.) :)

Dan Marler said...

Thank you, Mary. When I initially set up the "Love God and Love Others" page, I didn't list myself as the creator or have a link to my blog. I wanted to see if people would find it without my intentionally inviting my friends from Facebook. I'm glad you like it. This is hard to explain, but I'm glad that you liked the page without knowing that it was me writing it. (Since it's started to gain some fans, I've listed the info about myself on the page and started to invite folks. If you know folks you could invite to the page, I would love it....but don't feel any pressure.)

I'm feeling this impulse to write, lately, and stories and ideas come to my mind. It seems like I'm in a creative groove. I don't know how the "muse" works, but I hope it continues. I'm surprised how much I'm able to write.

Thanks for the nice words. You give me lots of encouragement and I appreciate it.