Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Long Slow Line

Rachel and I went to an annual children’s Halloween event called Spookview which is held at the park district building by our house.  I’m relatively certain this event is specifically designed to provide kids with some Halloween fun and to cause me pain and a mild degree of torture.  At the event we got into a very long line that was advancing at a snail’s pace while waiting for what basically amounts to a short ride around the park district property on a golf cart.

(Yes, I’m known as something of a thrill-seeker!)

At one point, I told Rachel, “Stay in line.  I’m going to run to the bathroom.  Don’t lose our place in this long, slow line.”

She nodded her head and said, “Alright.”

When I returned to the line I did not see Rachel.  I looked around in every direction thinking, “What’s going on?  Where is she?!?”

Then I heard her walking up behind me.

I turned and, pointing to some picnic tables, she said, “I was just sitting over there until you came back.”

I sighed deeply and we got back into the long, slow line again… at the very end of the line.

I’m happy to report that we spent forty-five minutes standing in line for a 3 and a half minute ride on a golf cart involving an outstanding view of my backyard.

Thrill seeking.


No comments: