Tuesday, October 14, 2014

It's Not A Cop Out To Trust God

I realize it can sound like a cop out to say, “Trust God.”  But I don’t use the phrase to suggest we should quit trying or quit thinking about solutions to problems.  However, there are things we can do and things we can’t do.  There are things we can control and a whole bunch of things we can’t control.

As I was watching the news this morning there were two key stories receiving a lot of attention.  One story had to do with ISIS, which affects many people under the broad category of terrorism activity.  The other story had to do with the Ebola virus, which seems to have the potential to affect more people than might have otherwise been reported. As you know, it is already classified as an epidemic in West Africa.

Both of these front page news stories are a good example of issues over which most of us have very little control.  And there are many other issues of life we do not control, as well.

I’m not writing this to make us feel hopeless or scared and I am definitely not trying to make us feel like victims.  I do not like the tendency of our culture to encourage a victim mentality. I’m just pointing out basic realities of life.

So, for me this statement is not a cop out.  It has to do with a fundamental truth of my existence:  I choose to trust God.

“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”  So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”

Hebrews 13:5&6

No comments: